Monday, April 25, 2011

the gumshoe


the gumshoe
covered in goo
reached into the yellow canoe
pulled out his phone
filed a report
‘I’ve found the lake guilty
Of murder of course’

The policemen’s eyes
went wide with surprise
‘That’s the second time
this week.’
He cried.

The officer said,
This lakes not so tough
I’m bringing him in
Huff and puff
Don’t you squirm
as I apply the cuffs

The investegator
eyed the file
‘Clear the court
and start the trial
I’ll hang this lake if I can
This inanimatey is just a sham

The judge’s prodigious
mustache was chewed
tell me who speaks
for the accused

The lawyer roared
Not so fast
Judge, throw this case
on it’s ass
I’ve got a witness who will swear
That the lake
 was unaware

The witness
heemed and hawed
etceteraed, and aproposed
He could be sentient
He could be not
Hang him first
Then I’ll have a shot

Deliberate the jurours did
The verdict game back at half past ten
Unanimous it was agreed
Murder the charge
First degree

So him they hung,
And hung again
The rope kept
Just falling in

A pump they yelled
A dike perhaps
We’ll drain this lake
Twice as fast

Pump they did, and diked it too
And after all the hullaballo

The crowd stepped back from its huddle
And the lake was now a puddle

Victory some said
We had no choice
But in the back
 was a discerning voice

‘Now it may be that
the lake is gone
But that puddle
Could still drown someone’

His voice was buried
Drowned and stopped
The peacocks chest
Had been popped

And at last the puddle
was alone
To plot and scheme
 and vengeance hone

No comments:

Post a Comment